NewsLocal News


Child dies after explosion while lighting campfire with gasoline in Davis County

Posted at 10:09 PM, Feb 19, 2024
and last updated 2024-02-20 20:37:36-05

WEST POINT, Utah — A child has died after being severely burned in an accident involving a campfire in Davis County.

The North Davis Fire District said the incident occurred Monday around 4:30 p.m. near 940 North 5000 West in the town of West Point.

Officials said it appeared that the 12-year-old boy was pouring gasoline to try and start a campfire when it exploded, causing critical burns on about 50 percent of his body. He was flown to Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake City, but died from his injuries Tuesday morning.

The boy's mother was taken to McKay-Dee Hospital by ambulance with burns to the lower half of her body. The fire district said she was burned while trying to put out the fire and help her son.

A fire district spokesperson called it a "horrible tragedy" and said the community is "reeling" from the loss.

“Responding to this call and aiding the family on this tragic night will be a moment that will stay with our deputies and other first responders for a lifetime," Sheriff Kelly V. Sparks said in a statement Tuesday. "We cannot begin to express our sincerest condolences to this family and those impacted by this terrible accident. We mourn the loss of this young boy, and we grieve for his family, his schoolmates, and those who love him.”

The victim's name has not been released at this time.